I made this cake for my friend’s birthday as she requested a chocolate cake for our potluck (of course, that was pre-COVID-19).
This is super easy to prepare, totally delicious, can be frosted or left as is, dusted with powdered sugar or coated in a chocolate or vanilla glaze.
I drizzled it with chocolate ganache and sprinkled with a lot of sprinkles, to reflect my friend Mae’s fun, playful, childish personality.
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup espresso or strong coffee
- ¼ cup cream or whole milk
For the ganache
- 3 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Generously spray a 10 cup bundt pan with nonstick spray which also contains flour. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, beat sugar and eggs using a hand mixer, until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add oil, vanilla, and sour cream. Blend well.
4. In a bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. In another bowl, mix together espresso and milk.
6. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, blend well. Add half of the liquid ingredients next, then blend well. Continue adding dry and wet ingredients alternately, blending well before adding the next.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for around 35 to 40 minutes. Test by piercing with a skewer, it should come out clean.
8. Let cake cool on a wire rack for a few minutes. Invert cake onto a serving dish and cool completely.
9. For the Ganache: melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl using 30 second increments until shiny and soft. Stir until smooth. Add cream and stir until combined. Pour over cooled cake. Sprinkle with desired topping.
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/