I got a few people asking me to make cakes using boxed cake mixes. I thought most people would like to make their cakes from scratch as I, for one, do not like opened boxes of half used mixes lying around the pantry. If you’ve seen my pantry, you’ll know why! 😉
I guess I was wrong about that and convenience still has a place. I like to use boxed mixes when I need a consistent taste/texture, but I make most of my recipes from scratch.
So, here it is. I tested two of the most popular flavors: Yellow Cake Mix and Chocolate Cake mix. Both of the mixes I got were 15.25 oz boxes. I got them from Target, so I am hoping this brand is widely available, so that anyone wanting to try this can easily find it.
I was able to make a standard recipe whether you want to use the Yellow Cake or the Chocolate cake so I think it is safe to say that it is going to work with Red Velvet and White cake mixes too. I will update this post (or make another article) if I get my hands on those mixes.
This is so easy to make and aside from the cake mix itself, I’m sure you’ll have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
*NOTE that this recipe uses regular sized measuring cups, NOT the tiny ELB cup, unless specified.*
Follow me for more recipes for the Itaki!
See Itaki’s offerings here! https://www.itakico.com/theresa
1 cup + 2 tablespoons cake mix
1/3 cup water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
2 – 3 ELB cups water in base
1. Grease the medium or small ELB bowl. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together cake mix, water, canola oil, and oil. Blend well and mix until smooth.
3. Pour into the prepared ELB bowl. Cover with foil and place on ELB base.
4. Add 2 ELB cups water to the base, cover and let steam until it shuts off, about 40 minutes.
5. Carefully open the ELB, and remove the bowl to a wire rack. Check cake for doneness by piercing with a toothpick, it should come out clean. Add 1 ELB cup of water to the base and steam until done if needed.
6. Cool cake for a few minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Frost if desired. Enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/
One thought on “Electric Lunchbox #65: Yellow Cake and Chocolate Cake Boxed Mixes”