Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! So much fun to see scary beings, goblins, vampires, super heroes, and scary, decorated houses! It’s the one night a year that kids and kids-at-heart alike get to dress up and get candies all night!
One of my physical therapist mentioned two years ago that she prepares a special Halloween dinner for her kids every year. Complete with meatloaf shaped like a foot, eyeball ice in their glasses, wormy pasta, etc. What a tradition, right? Something the kids for sure will remember forever!
I am all for tradition and what better way to do it than with food! However, going all out like that takes a lot of time planning, then cooking and making it. So I started simple with just one recipe.
This will not be a difficult one at all! You’ll just need a few, store bought ingredients and a little time! My son loves to have this for his school lunch around halloween. I’m sure the kids in your life will too!
You can easily double or triple the recipe to make this for a party.
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent rolls
1 slice American cheese
8 hot dogs
Mustard or ketchup, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Unroll dough and separate at perforations, creating 4 rectangles. Press perforations to seal.
- With knife or kitchen scissors, cut each rectangle lengthwise into 8-10 pieces. Slice cheese into 1/2 inch by 1 inch pieces for the face. You’ll only need 1 piece per hotdog.
- Wrap pieces of dough around each hot dog to look like “bandages,” stretching dough slightly to completely cover hot dog. Continue with another dough as needed, pinching the ends to seal. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate “bandages” so hot dog shows through for “face.”
- Place wrapped hot dogs on an ungreased cookie sheet, leaving space in between each hotdog mummy.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are cooked through. After removing from the oven, immediately place a piece of cheese on the hot mummies face and a pair of candy eyes on the cheese, and press down lightly to attach.
- Let cool and decorate with mustard or catsup if desired.