Red Velvet Cake! Once called Waldorf Astoria cake, this cake had a resurgence a few years ago and for a good reason – it’s flavorful and beautiful at the same time!
I love the contrast of the deep red, chocolate flavored cake and the white cream cheese frosting that usually envelopes it. Perfect match!
So….I figured it’ll be fun to make it in the Electric Lunchbox so that I can have it anytime without heating up the oven. It’s been really hot lately here in Southern California, that I actually bought a turkey roaster to bake my bread outside. But that is for another story! Back to my Red Velvet Cake – since it’s such a small, cute cake, it will be just enough for the three of us, with no left overs calling my name at midnight. Which is one of the many reasons I love making desserts in the electric lunchbox! I hope you’ll like this recipe!
Follow me for more recipes for the Itaki!
See Itaki’s offerings here! https://www.itakico.com/theresa
*NOTE that this recipe uses regular sized measuring cups, NOT the tiny Itaki cup, unless specified.*
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon red food color
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 bar of cream cheese (4 oz)
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
A drop of vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Spray the big electric lunchbox bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together oil, egg, red food color, vanilla, buttermilk, and vinegar. Beat until well mixed.
3. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt over the mixture. Add the sugar and mix just until combined.
4. Pour into the prepared bowl, cover with foil and set on the electric lunchbox base.
5. Add 3 Itaki cups water to the base, cover and let steam until it shuts off, about 55 minutes.
6. Carefully open the lunchbox, test the cake by inserting a skewer in the middle. A few moist crumbs on the skewer is okay.
7. Place the bowl on a wire rack to cool completely. Invert cake into a serving dish.
7. For the frosting: combine all ingredients in a small bowl and beat until thick and fluffy. Spread on the cooled cake. Top with sprinkles and serve.