A perfect lunch for tomorrow! Mix the ingredients for the meat and eggplant in the big bowl, place the rice without the water in the top bowl and take to work. Keep cold until ready to cook. Add water to the rice and to the ELB base about an hour or so before you want to eat.
Lunch is hot and ready when you are! if you can’t get to it right away, it’ll be fine as most ELB, if not all, shuts off automatically when the water in the base is gone. It might turn on again when enough condensation reaches the heating element but it will shut off again when the water evaporates. It’s kind of like a “keep hot” function.
Yo can definitely add more spice to this by upping the amount of chili pepper flakes. It’s so good as there’s a medley of flavors going on – salty, sweet, spicy – together with the textures of the meat and eggplant. I sometimes add tofu, sugar snap peas, or mushrooms, if I have them so you can tailor this to your tastes.
*NOTE that this recipe uses regular sized measuring cups, NOT the tiny Itaki cup, unless specified.*
Follow me for more recipes for the Itaki! See Itaki’s offerings here! https://www.itakico.com/theresa
1/2 cup ground beef
1/2 cup diced eggplant (the small round eggplant is perfect for this! I think they’re called Indian eggplant.)
2 tablespoon chopped onions
2 tablespoon soysauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 ELB cups rice
2 ELB cups water
1. Place beef, eggplant, onions, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt , pepper, chili pepper flakes, and cornstarch in the big ELB bowl. Mix together, breaking up the ground beef into little pieces. Place bowl in the ELB base.
2. Place the rice in the smaller ELB bowl. Rinse and drain. Pour in 2 ELB cups water and stir. Place this bowl on top of the bigger bowl.
3. Add 3 ELB cups water to the base, cover and let steam until done, about 55 minutes.
4. Carefully remove the ELB cover, use a spoon to break up the ground beef and mix with the sauce.
5. Serve hot with the rice. Enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/