Do you like potato salad? I know I LOVE starchy potato salad in all it’s variations!
This is a very tasty, Japanese style potato salad recipe. The potatoes are steamed to a point that it is soft enough that you can mash them, but you don’t, so you have some smooth mashed potatoes (from mixing) and chunks at the same time. Add in some ham, chopped boiled eggs, sliced cucumbers, and sliced carrots and this is nothing like your average potato salad! 😋
Serve it as a side to your main meals like any other potato salad. I sometimes grab a bowl of this straight from the fridge and eat it while watching TV, or reading. Or try it as a sandwich filling between two super soft and milky Japanese style pullman bread – yum!
3-4 potatoes, peeled, cubed, and steamed until soft
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
¼ cup sliced onions
1 – 2 cups chopped ham
2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1/2 – 1 cup Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp hot mustard
1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
Paprika, to serve
1. Steam the cubed potatoes until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
2. Thinly slice the cucumbers, onions, and carrots. I use a mandolin or a food processor to do this. I used Persian Cucumbers in this recipe as they are thin skinned and small enough that I just wash and slice them. Makes life easy!
3. Place sliced vegetables in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Toss gently and set aside for a few minutes until it weeps. Then grab a handful of veggies, squeeze tightly and place in another bowl. Repeat with the remaining salted vegetables.
4. Chop ham into bite sized pieces. They look nice when the sizes are identical, but if not, that’s okay too! It’ll still be delicious!
5. Now grab a big bowl, and mix everything together. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
6. Refrigerate until cold. Sprinkle with paprika just before serving. Serve and enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/