I posted a recipe for this Italian Breakfast Cake a couple of weeks ago, but this is the version that my son cannot get enough of.
This cake is still lemon flavored, as we have some really good, fragrant lemons in the backyard right now. For this recipe though, I make use of the lemon juice as well as the zest. Double lemon goodness!
The sun was out when I was preparing the batter so I got out the #SunOven to bake it in. I had nowhere to be so I just enjoyed preparing this cake and being in the moment instead of rushing because I had to be somewhere soon.
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar to garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the a 10 – 11 inch donut/bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat together the eggs and sugar using a hand mixer for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the oil, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract and beat until well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the liquid ingredients and beat on low speed until combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Level the batter with a spatula.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Run a plastic knife along the edges and the middle tube, and carefully invert the cake onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- If desired, turn cake over onto a serving dish, and dust top with powdered sugar and serve.