Happy 4th day of the New Year!
So have you had a Hot Chocolate Bomb yet? I didn’t realize how popular these things are!
These are fun little spheres (my molds were 2 1/2 inches) made of chocolate, candy coating, or butterscotch chips, and filled with hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. I also made some filled with French Vanilla Latte, Mocha, and Caramel Macchiato flavored coffees.
You place the beautifully decorated ball in a mug big enough to hold it, pour HOT milk (or hot water for the coffee ones), and watch as the magic happens – the shell melts, usually turns over in the cup, and reveals the marshmallows and chocolate mixture (or flavored coffee) inside. Stir then enjoy!
I made some to give as gifts before the holidays and got several orders that I had to keep buying the ingredients to make it. And the stores kept running out of the brand I use so I had to keep going to several places to find them! They were worth it though as everyone is so happy when they get it.
So here…in case you want to try your hand at making these, are my step by step instructions!
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/
These are everything you need (plus a lot of marshmallows!!!) to make hot chocolate bombs.
Chocolate chips, candy coating, or flavored baking chips
Instant hot chocolate/cocoa mix (I like the brands I photographed above, but use any you like!)
Sprinkles, crushed candy canes, edible metallic sprays, any candy or cookie decoration you want
Chocolate melting pot or a microwave safe bowl
1. I started by melting a bag of chocolate in my chocolate melting pot. I also tried in the microwave – use full power at 30 second increments until the chocolate gets soft looking and shiny.
2. Stir to melt thoroughly.
3. Place about s tablespoon of melted chocolate in each cavity of the mold.
4. Using the back of a spoon, carefully coat the inside of the cavity with the melted chocolate. Make sure you try to coat evenly, and cover all visibly thin areas.
5. Refrigerate until it sets, about 30 minutes.
6. Carefully unmold each chocolate and place on a dish or plate.
7. To even out the edges, heat a small plate for about 1-2 minutes in the microwave and quickly invert 1 chocolate shell on the plate. When it starts melting the edges, twist and return to the plate. Repeat with remaining chocolate pieces.
8. Fill half of the shells with the hot chocolate mixture.
9. And top with a lot of marshmallows.
10. Reheat the small plate, around 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. One by one, invert the unfilled shells on to the plate, let it melt the edges slightly then twist the shell onto the filled shells. Run your finger through the crease and make sure to seal it together. You do not want hot chocolate powder coming out of the ball.
11. Drizzle with more melted chocolate (be sure it is not too hot otherwise it can melt your chocolate ball) and top with sprinkles, peppermint candies, cookie crumbs, etc!
12. You can also spray them with edible metallic spray to make it look really pretty!
13. Ta-da! Enjoy!
Below are some videos we took while preparing these hot chocolate balls!
I’ve been wanting to try making my own for a while but in the meantime I wonder if any stores are selling them? 🍫
I sell them locally, so maybe you can check FB marketplace? I haven’t seen them in stores at all. That’s why i tried making them, and you get to use the ingredients you want, down to the vrand of hot chocolate! 😊