Apple. Rum. Cake.
Apples were on sale this past few weeks so I had bought my fair share. Actually MORE than my fair share that I had to dehydrate some to save them from going bad.
So I thought about making apple torte (https://athomewiththeresa.com/2020/11/27/apple-cream-torte/). But then someone mentioned apple cake with rum…so off to testing I went! I was told that spiced rum works best but I only had Bacardi so I used that. It worked!
You can definitely taste the rum in this cake. Which I like, but feel free to lessen the amount if you have to. Or replace it with apple juice to make it kid friendly.
Hope you like this recipe!
*NOTE that this recipe uses regular sized measuring cups, NOT the tiny ELB cup, unless specified.*
Follow me for more recipes for the ELB!
See and order Itaki’s products here! https://www.itakico.com/theresa
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1-2 tablespoons Bacardi rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 big apple, peeled and chopped
3 ELB cups water for base
1. Spray the big ELB bowl with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a microwave safe dish.
3. In a medium sized bowl, pour melted butter,
4. Brown sugar,
8. Mix everything well together.
9. Add four,
10. Baking powder,
12. Mix until no more trace of dry flour remains and the ingredients are well combined.
13. Gently fold in chopped apples. Make sure to try and coat the apples with the batter.
14. Pour into prepared ELB bowl. Cover with foil and set onto the ELB base,
15. Place 3 ELB cups water in the base, cover and let steam until it shuts off , about 1 hour.
16. Carefully open the ELB and check the cake for doneness. Poke the center with a skewer. It should come out clean.
17. Enjoy warm or cold! A scoop or 2 of ice cream would be great with this too!
One thought on “Electric Lunchbox #94: Apple Rum Cake”