This is a variation of my usual sourdough recipe. Filled with Pickled Jalapeño and cubed Cheddar Cheese, it is delicious on its own and makes awesome grilled cheese or turkey, or ham sandwiches!
Start by feeding your starter in the morning. Then prepare your dough after dinner, stretching and folding an hour later, 30 minutes apart, for about a couple of times.
Then you leave it on the counter till the next morning when you’ll work in the cheese and jalapeños, shape, let proof and then bake.
Just want to mention that you want these to cool completely before slicing, otherwise your bread might get gummy inside. It is hard not to devour a hot, fresh baked bread but it’s worth it, believe me!
1/2 cup starter
3 cups water
4 2/3 cups bread flour
3 1/3 cups all purpose, kamut, or spelt flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sea salt
2/3 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
2 cups cubed (1/4 inch or so) cheddar cheese
1. Start by mixing your starter into the water until it breaks up. Add your flour and salt and mix just until you have a ball of dough coming together.
2. Cover and set aside for about an hour.
3. After the first rest, stretch and fold for at least 2 times, 30 minutes apart. If you can do 4 stretch and folds, it’s better, otherwise 2 sets will do.
4. Cover and set aside overnight at room temperature.
5. The next day, prepare the cheese and jalapeños.
6. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. Working with 1 part at a time, stretch your dough on the counter and place half of the cheese and jalapeños on top. Fold 1/3 into the center, from both sides, then turn over and fold top part down, bottom part up. Pinch edges to seal and place in a floured banneton.
7. Repeat with the remaining dough, cheese, and jalapeños.
8. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2-4 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 500F. You can place 2 oven safe dutch ovens in to heat up with the oven. Or you could start from cold, like in this article https://athomewiththeresa.com/2020/01/22/baking-bread-without-preheating-the-oven/
10. Lower the heat to 450 after you place the breads in. Bake your breads 25 minutes covered, 20 minutes uncovered.
11. Remove from oven when done. Cool breads on a wire rack completely.
Wow! This looks so delicious– what a wonderful idea, it brings one of my favorite bagel types together with sourdough bread! 🙂 🙂
It is absolutely delicious! And easy to make!! I hope you try it! Thank you for visiting! ❤️🙏