This is a variation of the Pandan Coconut Rolls I posted a couple of weeks ago. Link to the recipe: https://athomewiththeresa.com/2020/10/21/coconut-pandan-rolls/
Deep purple and fragrant with Ube, it has the same super soft, squishy texture and is one you should totally try! Ube is enjoying being the “it” flavor recently, as I have been seeing it used in different kinds of sweets, like cakes, frostings, and fillings.
This bread is delicious on it’s own, or with butter. If you get your hands on a jar of Ube Jam, then you’ll have a match made in bread heaven! In the Philippines, ube flavored bread is also paired with cheese, so try that too and let me know what you think!
400 – 450 grams all purpose flour, plus more as needed
75 grams sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
185 ml coconut milk
2 teaspoons ube extract
2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon cornstarch, for dusting
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a medium bowl.
2. Place the coconut milk, egg, and ube extract in the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. Slowly add the dry ingredients.
3. Mix on speed 1 for a couple of minutes then on speed 2 for about 10 minutes. Add a little more flour, if needed, until you get a sticky dough that holds together.
4. Rest the mixer for 10 minutes. Add the butter to the bowl and mix on speed 2 for 10 more minutes.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until almost triple in size, about 2-3 hours.
6. Remove dough from the bowl and weigh the entire amount. Divide into 12 equal pieces.
7. Roll into a tight ball and place in a greased or parchment paper lined 13×9 inch pan. Cover with a moist dish towel and let rise until almost triple in size, about 2 hours.
8. Preheat oven to 325F. Dust the top of the buns with a little cornstarch. This is to keep the top from browning too much. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Notes: You can add more ube extract if you want the taste/color stronger. 2 teaspoons creates a mild tasting, purple bread. Also you can add more sugar if you want the buns sweeter.
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/