I already have a cornbread recipe for the ELB (https://athomewiththeresa.com/2020/05/07/electric-lunchbox-beef-stew-and-corn-bread-with-optional-flan/) but I happened to have some bacon grease today (from yesterday’s breakfast!) so I used that to flavor the cornbread I am preparing.
Note that this can be prepared in the medium bowl too if you have food cooking in both bottom bowl. Then you can have your meal and sides at the same time!
Feel free to add crumbled, cooked bacon and corn kernels into the batter if you like. It will taste a lot better! I would’ve, but I just didn’t have any when I made this recipe. Also you definitely can use softened butter, lard, or shortening instead of the bacon grease.
This goes perfect with the chili recipe I posted a couple of days ago! https://athomewiththeresa.com/2020/10/23/electric-lunchbox-62-chili/
*NOTE that this recipe uses regular sized measuring cups, NOT the tiny ELB cup, unless specified.*
Follow me for more recipes for the Itaki!
See Itaki’s offerings here! https://www.itakico.com/theresa
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons bacon grease
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Grease the small or medium ELB bowl and set aside.
2. Mix the evaporated milk with the vinegar and set side for about 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine bacon grease, milk with vinegar, egg, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix just until combined.
4. Pour into a the prepared ELB bowl. Cover with foil and set on the ELB base.
5. Add 2 ELB cups water to the base. Cover and let steam until it shuts off, about 40 minutes.
6. Carefully open the ELB and remove the bowl. Pierce the cornbread with a skewer in the middle to see if it is done. It should come out clean.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack. Or serve warm with stews, for breakfast or with my chili made in the ELB.
Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/At-Home-With-Theresa-100255438410727/
Thank you! Hope you try it!
Can you cook this at the same time you cook the chili? I’m new to electric lunchbox cooking.
Yes you just have to check the doneness and add more water to the base as needed. 😊