I love sourdough boules but I admit it is hard to fit it in a regular sandwich tupperware for my husband’s breakfast that he takes to work. I recently purchased 3 pullman loaf tins and was playing with recipes to make a regular soft sandwich bread using sourdough. My starter does not make a sour bread so it’s just perfect for a turkey, cheese and/or egg breakfast sandwich!
I know that most soft bread recipes will have milk, butter/oil, and sugar, sometimes egg but I like to keep it egg free so that it keeps longer at room temperature. I added multigrain cereal as I have some on hand and I usually buy multigrain bread anyway. Sounds healthier! You can definitely replace this with the same amount of flour, up to a cup if needed, to make a plain white loaf.
This recipe make 3 small loaf breads, 4”x7.5”.
1 cup starter
1 cup water
1 cup milk
4 1/2 – 5 cups flour
2/3 cup multigrain cereal mix (I just used Trader Joe’s brand that I always have on hand)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons canola oil or melted butter
1. In a large bowl, mix starter and water until starter is mostly dissolved. Add milk and stir. Mix in 4 1/2 cups flour, multigrain mix, sugar, honey, salt, and oil. Mix until a rough dough forms. Make sure the flour is moistened. The dough won’t form a ball, just a shaggy dough. Cover and let rise overnight.
*If pressed for time, just wait until doubled, about 5 hours, lifting and folding about every 30 minutes, at least twice. Stretch into a rectangle and roll up on the short end and place in the loaf tin. Let rise 4 to 5 hours, until almost doubled. Then bake.*
2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 3 equal parts. Stretch one portion into a rectangle, with the short end being the size of your loaf tin. Roll up from short end and place into your loaf tin. Repeat with the other portions. Cover and let rest until almost doubled, about 4 to 5 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 375F. Bake the bread covered, for about 40 minutes, uncover and bake around 5 – 10 minutes more until golden.
- Now add a cup of water to the mixing bowl and mix it together dissolving most of the starter.
- Now add 2 and 1/2 cups of flour to the mixture. Blend until it starts to come together, don’t mix it completely together yet.
- Now add 1 heaping teaspoon of salt, one tablespoon of sugar, one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of oil.
- Mix/knead it all together until its mixed and a ball develops
- Now cover and let it sit over night or 12+ hours it should double in size
- Remove it from the bowl and flatten it out some, roll into the size of your loaf pan. Place it inside the loaf pan and cover. Let it rise about double.
- The preheat the overs after it has risen and bake at 395° until done 45 minutes about
that’s a recipe for a 8X4x4 inch pan & for about 1/2 cup of starter. I use a different size pan but that’s the recipe I have given to friends and family and they have had success.
First rest overnight. (4 hours?)shape into 3 loaf tins (about 500g dough in each), rise 4 hours.
375F 40 minutes uncover, bake 5 minutes more